|F for Fenugreek Seeds|
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi, मेथी, வெந்தயம்) is a common ingredient that is used for cooking in most Indian households. These tiny seeds add an aromatic flavour to Indian cuisine and are used in full while giving a ‘tadka’ or are roasted and powdered to add taste. Fenugreek leaves (Methi greens) are also excellent for health.
The seeds can be soaked along with Urad Dal before making the dough for Idli or Dosa. This increases the fluffiness of the idlis and crispiness of the dosas. Sprouted Fenugreek seeds add taste to salads.
Fenugreek seeds have a bitter taste with a terrific and positive effect on one’s digestive system. I have heard of people recommending the intake of Fenugreek seeds in the form of powder or soaked grains. Believe me, this is one way of ensuring that no one will consume the seeds. Taken in either form, one cannot miss the bitter taste and hence, most of the people I know, refuse to have it.
The best way is to swallow half a teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds along with water the same way that you would swallow tablets. You don’t get to taste the bitterness while the wonder effect on your body is awesome.
|F for Fenugreek Leaves|
Why consume Fenugreek seeds at all?
Well, Fenugreek seeds have a wonderful effect on your whole system.
• It protects your stomach lining and ensures that you don’t get stomach ulcers.
• It acts as a digestive and ensures that you don’t get heartburn.
• It acts as a natural medicine whether you have constipation or loose stools. The effect is immediate unless the condition is chronic.
• Having Fenugreek seeds everyday sets your whole digestive system in order.
• It helps you lose weight over a period of time.
• Especially for those who consume alcohol, Fenugreek seeds save you from most of the evil side effects.
• It helps in the functioning of the Pancreas that secretes insulin, very helpful in the case of diabetics.
• Consumption of Fenugreek seeds in the long run helps your skin glow and your hair shine.
Do you need more reasons to use Fenugreek seeds?
A-Z Challenge 2014
'A' for Asafoetida
'B' for Bananas
'C' for Chin Mudra
'D' for Dance Therapy
'E' for Elephant Yam
'F' for Fenugreek Seeds