I know the Gujarati Dal tastes quite simple and yummy. But a number of ingredients go into it to give it the right flavour. It’s best to follow the method step-by-step to ensure that the Dal is absolutely delicious.
Toor Dal - 1 cup (large)
Tomatoes - 2 (medium, grated or chopped)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Jaggery - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Kotmir - 2 tsp (chopped)
Green Chillies - 5
Curry Leaves - 8-10
Ginger - 1” piece
Garlic - 5 cloves
Dry Masala Powder
Turmeric Powder - 1 large pinch
Chilli Powder - 1 small pinch
Dhaniya Powder - ½ tsp
Jeera Powder - ½ tsp
Hing Powder – 1 small pinch
Rai - 1 flat tsp
Jeera - 1 flat tsp
Methi Seeds - ¼ tsp
Cloves - 2-3
Cinnamon - 2 tiny pieces
1. Pressure-cook the toor dal with two cups of water for 8 whistles.
2. In a small bowl, cut the green chillies into two pieces each; add the curry leaves, grate the ginger and garlic on a cheese grater and keep them together.
3. Heat the oil and ghee together in a saucepan and keep the flame on medium.
4. Let the Rai crackle in it before you add Jeera, Methi, Cloves and Cinnamon.
5. Add the green masala items immediately after and turn it once or twice.
6. Immediately add the dry masala powders - 5 of them. I usually keep these also together in a small bowl so that they can be added simultaneously.
7. After mixing these in, add the tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to cook in the masala for 2-3 minutes before adding 2 cups of water to the saucepan.
8. Add the salt and jaggery and allow the whole thing to boil for about 5 minutes.
9. Mash the cooked toor dal to a smooth consistency with a pav-bhaji masher and add it to the saucepan.
10. Mix well and allow it to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
11. Switch off the gas and transfer the delicious Gujarati Dal to a serving vessel and garnish with kotmir before serving.
Believe you me, you will get quite addicted to the taste soon!
Perfect comfort dal,loved the click as well.ReplyDelete
Thank you Ms. Chitchat :)Delete
Perfect.... Keep them coming. I will keep trying them:)ReplyDelete
Hey! Glad to hear that :) Enjoy!Delete
Wow! Dal with jaggery sounds great.. Bookmarked.. I'm a new blogger... Do visit my blog.. http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/ReplyDelete
nice to meet you here. Thanks for stopping by and writing in. :)
I checked out your blog dedicated to recipes. Looks great and I am following it. You are welcome to check out my other articles. Recipes are but a small part of this blog. I do write short stories too. Find them on Shimmering Sun listed on the left panel.