|Basmati Rice - soaked & drained|
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Shelled Peas – 1 cup
Beans – 100 gm (stringed and cut in inch-long pieces)
Carrot – 1 (peeled and cut in inch-long pieces)
Cauliflower – 250 gm (cut into flowerets)
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
Oil – to shallow fry the vegetables
Ghee – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Cashew nuts – a handful (cut into pieces)
Jeera – 1 tsp
Black Pepper – 4 corns
Star Anise – 2
Mace (Jaadhi Pathiri) - a few strands
Bay leaf – 2
Cinnamon – 4
Cinnamon bar – 2 small pieces
Cardamom – 2-3
|Dry masala ingredients|
Ginger – ½ inch piece
Garlic – 4 cloves
Green Chillies – 2
1. Wash the rice and keep it soaked for half an hour. Then drain it before beginning the biryani process.
2. Grind the masala ingredients into a coarse paste and keep aside.
3. In a large saucepan, shallow fry the vegetables with salt, – one type at a time – drain the oil and keep in a bowl. Mix the coriander leaves with the hot vegetables.
5. Add some salt before adding the washed and drained rice to the saucepan.
6. Close with a lid and cook on medium flame.
7. Shallow fry the cashew nuts in ghee in a separate pan.
8. When the rice is cooked, remove it in a serving bowl. Spread the cooked vegetables on top before garnishing with cashew nuts.
The biryani tastes yummy all by itself and does even better with raita.