Thursday, January 6, 2011
Recipe: MOONG DAL HALWA
I made this yummy Halwa on New Year’s Day. I have tasted it at Gujju weddings and suddenly felt the urge to try it out. The recipe is my own – tried and tasted!
Moong Dal – 1 cup
Water – 2 cups
Sugar – 1 cup
Ghee – ½ cup
Cashew-nuts – 6 (cut to pieces)
Almonds – 4 (cut in lengths)
Kishmish – 10
Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
1. Add 2 cups of water to the moong dal and pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Mash the dal well after opening the cooker.
2. Heat a spoonful of ghee in a saucepan and shallow fry the dry-fruits in it, adding the kishmish last. Remove and keep aside.
3. Heat the rest of the ghee and add the mashed moong dal to it. Cook for about 5 minutes before adding the sugar. Now, you have to cook longer until the mixture starts to leave the sides.
4. Add the cardamom powder at this point and mix well before switching off the gas.
5. Transfer the Moong Dal Halwa into a bowl and garnish with the dry-fruits.
Served hot or cold, it tastes heavenly. The shelf-life for the Halwa is at best 3 days in this cold weather. You may refrigerate it and reheat in a microwave oven before serving.